Friday, February 19, 2010

Searching for balance....

In work, life, family and self? Is there such a thing?

Can I as a part- time mum ever really feel that I am giving 100% of my time, energy and focus to my kids?

Can I as a part- time teacher, ever really feel that I am giving 100% of my time, energy and focus on my students and colleagues?

Can I find time amidst the endless meetings, correction, housework, playing, cooking, cleaning, play-doh, wiggles and never list of things I should be doing, to spend quality time with my gorgeous, patient husband.

Will I find time for Tan? Just simple quality time for me, to do what I need to do for my spiritual self, for my mental health and for my selfish self?

I think the answer to all of the above is a definite no.

I get frustrated by the fact that this is the case but am coming to understand that it is ok if the washing doesn't get done because it means that a nearly 3 year old learns the Heel and Toe polka instead, it means that if I get take-away more than usual because I am in meetings and picking up kids until 6 o'clock at night, that too is ok. It means that the time I do spend with my husband, even if it is on the couch talking crap is quality time.
I will take the snatches of time for me when I can, I may not sew for a while, which I need for my creative self, but will look forward to when I can in the holidays.

I hope by reconciling this on virtual paper like this, when I have bad days I will know that this too will pass and at the end of the day I am one wonderfully blessed woman with a healthy, fabulous family, a great job, awesome amazing friends and a life that I am eternally grateful for.
I have to mention these are 2 of my favourite photos of the kids! James with his tiny toosh hanging out and Izzy looking like something from Avatar! They make me laugh so hard every day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh hunny. huge hugs. the never ending juggling of working mummy. keep writing. and like you said - the washing can wait - take out is so that you can spend time with your family, rather then having to cook and miss out, and talking crap on the couch can be quality time with your hubby. sewing may have to take a back seat - but you'll find something else that feeds your soul in the mean time. your doing great hun. be kind to yourself. and while your at it, see if you can find your self a copy of the book you sexy mother. x

The Authentic Self said...

Very beautifully written. And I'm sure all working mums feel the same way.